You won't believe how much fun contra dancing can be--until you try it!
G.O.D.S. Online Dances/Socials
Please Join Us for a Virtual (online) Dance & Social!
Put the DATES on your calendars. Online dances/socials are currently scheduled thru Sep 2021, or until we dance in person again:
• 1st Sundays of every month (except Jul 4, 2021)
• 3rd Saturdays of every month
• 5th Sundays of the month when then occur (11/29/20, 1/31/21, 5/30/21, 8/29/21)
• start at 4:00pm on Sundays
• start at 7:00pm on Saturdays
Schedule to be announced during the week of the event.
The online meeting link will be announced during the week of the event.
Check back here on the Events page of our website; also, check our Facebook page, and look for email announcements from our Google Group.
Clear out a space in your house for dancing.
Charge your devices, and enjoy some music and dance (or watching your friends dance).
Get some exercise.
Or, simply come & enjoy chatting & socializing with your friends!
G.O.D.S. In-person Dances Cancelled Indefinitely
April 20, 2020
Dear Dance Community,
With heavy hearts and leaden feet, we regretfully announce that all in-person events of the Gainesville Oldtime Dance Society (G.O.D.S.) are cancelled indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
At this time, we do not know when we will be able to resume our dances. We will follow health and scientific guidance from local, state, and federal sources in scheduling any event. Additionally, we must await the re-opening of Gainesville city buildings for larger events, with no physical distancing requirements, prior to resuming G.O.D.S. dances.
We also encourage all members of our community to join the Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS) in alternative events that will bring us together through song and dance, even if not in person. Please check the CDSS’s calendar for a variety of activities that are accessible to the whole family!
We hope to see y’all on the dance floor again soon!
[Sent on behalf of the G.O.D.S. Board of Directors]
Deni Breckenridge, Aerin Brown, Christine Bruels, Cayley Buckner, Mary McClead, Judy McKendrick, Mike Randall, Diane Schulbach, and Pete Turner
Come experience old-time dancing with the G.O.D.S. — the Gainesville Oldtime Dance Society! Contra dancing is aerobic social dancing to live music. There is no need to bring a partner — everyone is encouraged to find a new partner for each dance. Our inclusive group of experienced dancers always aim to be good hosts. Check out our calendar for when & where we are having our upcoming dances. We would love to see you there!
OUR NEXT IN-PERSON DANCE EVENT:
About contra dancing and our dances:
• Contra dancing is energetic, social dancing that’s fun for everyone (all ages are welcome) and no partner is necessary.
• No experience is necessary. Contra dances are taught, walked through, & called. If you are new, please come to the beginner lesson (workshop) that begins about 15 minutes before the dance.
• The music is live.
• No special dress is required. Wear comfortable, casual attire & clean, soft-soled shoes.
• Fragrance-free space. As a favor to dancers who are sensitive or allergic, we ask that you refrain from wearing cologne, perfume, or scented products, or clothes smelling of cigarettes or incense.
• Snacks at the break are provided by dancers. If you snack, please bring something to share. Please bring a refillable water bottle to help our planet. Water is provided. Paper cups are also available.
• Parking is in the lot across the street from the Boltin Center and in marked spaces on adjacent streets.
Please check our FAQ page.
Dance, Music, & Song Camps
April 13, 2021 update
We hope you’re keeping well and enjoying a dose of springtime!
We wanted to give you an update from our message of last month, let you know where things stand with this year’s CDSS Camp programs, and ask for your input as we consider what camps might look like this summer.
What do we know now?
The current status of all our camp sessions is still To Be Determined. Registration is not open.
We are continuing to monitor local, state, and federal guidelines, vaccination roll-outs, and infection rates as schools and businesses reopen. We are in communication with our four camp facilities and discussing constraints, including possible date changes for some camp sessions. We remain hopeful, but cautious as we weigh all of these factors.
When will we know more?
If we can hold some or all of our camp sessions, we’ll open registration no later than June 1. We’ll be in touch before then with another camp update.
But I want to go to camp!
So do we! But even if we can hold our camp sessions, they may need to be different from what you might have experienced previously at a CDSS camp. While nothing has been decided, we’d love to capture your feedback via this short survey on a few potential aspects of life at pandemic-era camps.
Thank you for your continued patience and support as we work through these challenging times. We can’t wait to see ALL of you this summer—at camp, at an online program, or both!
Joanna Reiner Wilkinson