The Gainesville Oldtime Dance Society (G.O.D.S.) is a non-profit Florida corporation (501c3) organization under the Country Dance and Song Society of America. G.O.D.S. was formed around 1986. G.O.D.S. has no paid administrative positions; all administrative/governance positions and all organizational/operational tasks are undertaken by volunteers. A Board of Directors (Steering Committee) is elected from the membership. G.O.D.S. is well organized and solvent.
G.O.D.S. Board of Directors (Steering Committee) 2022 – 2023
□ Jonathan Balk (Treasurer)
□ Deni Breckenridge (Vice Pres/Co-Convener)
□ Dianne Harper (Secretary)
□ Dave Pokorney (President/Convener)
□ Kurt Seaburg
- All events are open to the public. The G.O.D.S. is a community asset.
- There is a suggested donation per dance, however no dancer is ever turned away for inability to pay.
- Our costs include the hall rental, insurance, and the talent (the band, the caller, and the sound tech). Otherwise we fully function on volunteer energy.
- Regular events are open to all skill levels of dancing. Newcomers are welcome. There is a teaching workshop (lesson) for beginners before each regular contra dance.
- There is no drinking or smoking at our dances. Contra dancing prides itself on providing a safe and inclusive environment. Children are welcome to dance when they attend accompanied by an adult.
- Prior to the pandemic, G.O.D.S. conducted contra dances, along with waltzing sessions, at least twice monthly. Dances were regularly held on the first and fifth Sunday, and third Saturday of each month. Additionally, there were special dances, including the annual Dancing-with-the-GODS Weekend (3-day event), held since 2004, in February.
- If you are new to contra or new to Gainesville, we recommend you check out our FAQ page.
BOARD MEETINGS / MINUTES
Periodic meetings of the G.O.D.S. Board of Directors (Steering Committee) are open to the public.
Minutes of meetings can be found HERE.
G.O.D.S. Bylaws HERE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS
A complete year-by-year list of G.O.D.S. Board of Directors (Steering Committee) members
may be found HERE.
SAFETY POLICY & PROCEDURES HERE
You are welcome to report unwanted behavior to our Safety Team.
G.O.D.S. GUIDELINES FOR MEDIA POSTINGS HERE
G.O.D.S. guidelines for use of, and postings to, electronic media
OUR MAILING ADDRESS:
Gainesville Oldtime Dance Society
PO Box 13224
Gainesville, FL 32604
To contact the G.O.D.S. Board of Directors (Steering Committee),
or the webmaster,