Wild Asparagus Weekend at the Dancing Fish of Lake Santa Fe–April 19-20-21st 2019 Contra dance to one of New England’s finest bands, Wild Asparagus, in the new covered dance barn at The Dancing Fish, on Lake Santa Fe in Melrose, Florida (18 miles east of Gainesville).
The wonders of Wild Asparagus never cease. Together for 30 years, their music has matured like a fine wine. This powerful ensemble brings a unique sound and dynamic energy to contra dancing weaving a spell that you wish would never end. Their creative, driving tunes keep dancers energized and inspired while George’s smooth, efficient calling makes challenging contras seem easy as pie.
- George Marshall, renowned for his graceful calling style, also plays concertina, bodhran and bones.
- Ann Percival delights dancers with irresistible piano and guitar rhythms and mellifluous vocals.
- David Cantieni, woodwind wizard, adds rich layers to each arrangement with flute, tin-whistle, oboe, saxophone and bombard.
- Becky Tracy graces each tune with her elegant, energetic fiddling.
- Add in rhythm king Mark Hellenberg on percussion and bodacious bass player Mark Murphy and you’ve got one Big, Bold sound.
Four Contra Dances in 3 days!
- FRIDAY EVENING (4/19): 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- SATURDAY AFTERNOON (4/20): 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- SATURDAY EVENING (4/20): 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- SUNDAY AFTERNOON (4/21): 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
LOCATION: Dance at the newly constructed dance barn at The Dancing Fish, 6228 Dogwood Lane, Melrose, FL 32666 (the western edge of Melrose, FL), or alternatively, 6304 Dogwood Lane might work better in navigation devices. Turn on Dogwood Lane, go to the end of the road & turn left. Bring a lawn chair & enjoy outdoor activities on the shore of Lake Santa Fe when you’re not busy dancing.
TICKETS: (Ages 26+) $20 per dance Package Price: $60* for entire weekend of dances (*Individual dances paid at the door total $80.)
(Ages 16-25) $10 per dance Package Price: $30 for entire weekend (ages 15 & under). FREE admission to all dances when accompanied by an adult. FREE for non-dancers to watch & listen.
Snacks to share will be appreciated at all four dances this weekend.
OTHER ACTIVITIES Swimming, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, boating, fishing, are available. Bring your own boat. Dancers should make their own arrangements. Grilling is allowed within the compound (bring your own grill).