Beginner-friendly contra dance and waltz events happen at least twice monthly. Check our dance calendar for details...
G.O.D.S. Dances Cancelled Indefinitely
April 20, 2020
Dear Dance Community,
With heavy hearts and leaden feet, we regretfully announce that all in-person events of the Gainesville Oldtime Dance Society (G.O.D.S.) are cancelled indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
At this time, we do not know when we will be able to resume our dances. We will follow health and scientific guidance from local, state, and federal sources in scheduling any event. Additionally, we must await the re-opening of Gainesville city buildings for larger events, with no physical distancing requirements, prior to resuming G.O.D.S. dances.
We also encourage all members of our community to join the Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS) in alternative events that will bring us together through song and dance, even if not in person. Please check the CDSS’s calendar for a variety of activities that are accessible to the whole family!
We hope to see y’all on the dance floor again soon!
[Sent on behalf of the G.O.D.S. Board of Directors]
Deni Breckenridge, Aerin Brown, Christine Bruels, Cayley Buckner, Mary McClead, Judy McKendrick, Mike Randall, Diane Schulbach, and Pete Turner
Come experience old-time dancing with the G.O.D.S. — the Gainesville Oldtime Dance Society! Contra dancing is aerobic social dancing to live music. There is no need to bring a partner — everyone is encouraged to find a new partner for each dance. Our inclusive group of experienced dancers always aim to be good hosts. Check out our calendar for when & where we are having our upcoming dances. We would love to see you there!
OUR NEXT DANCE EVENT:
About contra dancing and our dances:
• Contra dancing is energetic, social dancing that’s fun for everyone (all ages are welcome) and no partner is necessary.
• No experience is necessary. Contra dances are taught, walked through, & called. If you are new, please come to the beginner lesson (workshop) that begins about 15 minutes before the dance.
• The music is live.
• No special dress is required. Wear comfortable, casual attire & clean, soft-soled shoes.
• Fragrance-free space. As a favor to dancers who are sensitive or allergic, we ask that you refrain from wearing cologne, perfume, or scented products, or clothes smelling of cigarettes or incense.
• Snacks at the break are provided by dancers. If you snack, please bring something to share. Please bring a refillable water bottle to help our planet. Water is provided. Paper cups are also available.
• Parking is in the lot across the street from the Boltin Center and in marked spaces on adjacent streets.
Please check our FAQ page.
Updates on CDSS Summer Programs (Aug 2020)
All in-person CDSS programs and events have been cancelled through the end of 2020. We are continuing with all 2021 summer camp plans for now, but are actively monitoring the situation and will adjust as necessary. In the event that we need to cancel one or more programs or any camper must cancel because of COVID-19, we will offer a full refund of registration fees. We will communicate in the weeks leading up to camp, and at camp, to explain any procedures that will be put in place for safety.
Magic is waiting for you at CDSS’s summer dance, music, and song camps! Through nine weeks of camp at four camp locations across the U.S., CDSS offers a variety of programming for adults and families. Whether you’re a beginning fiddler or a professional bagpiper, a brand-new contra dancer or a seasoned morris squire, there’s a place for you at a CDSS camp week. Lots of details here, including information on scholarships. Plan now for a week of joy this summer.